Our website uses cookies which help us to improve our site and provide a good customer experience. You can read how we use cookies here. Accept.

St Albans Brighton Islington
Clapham Leamington Spa

Radiator Valves Guide

What valves can I use with my new radiator?

On radiators attached to your central heating system, you will need one set of valves; on one side the valve is used to control the temperature of the individual radiator; the valve on the other side is used to balance the system. We stock a range of valves to complement your designer radiators. If you would like advice about valves, feel free to contact us.

What is the difference between thermostatic valves and manual valves?

Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRVs) have an in-built temperature sensor which/that keeps the room temperature at a constant level. On the other hand, manual valves are effectively the same as taps – you turn the valve to control the temperature of the room. However, with no thermostat, you will have to keep an eye on the temperature yourself as the radiator will stay at that temperature regardless of how hot or cold the room actually is.

We recommend TRVs to be installed on your radiators as these offer efficiency and full controllably. However, in rooms that are often humid such as a bathroom or showroom, manual valves may be a better option to consider as humidity can provide TRV’s with false readings.

What does BBOE/TBOE/TBSE mean?

When fitting radiator valves, you may come across the initials BBOE, TBOE or TBSE. These indicate how the water flows around the radiator and therefore show where the valves should be fitted, i.e.:

BBOE – Both Bottom Opposite Ends, meaning the valves will be placed at the bottom of the radiator on opposite ends. Most standard radiators are configured this way.
TBOE - Top and Bottom Opposite Ends, often seen on old cast iron radiators.
TBSE - Top and Bottom Same Ends, also mostly seen on old cast iron radiators.

Our radiators usually have the option for several different connections so please contact us to check availability should you require a none standard connection type.

What is the difference between straight, angled and corner valves?

Angled radiator valves connect the radiator with the pipework at an angle. This is usually in situations where the central heating pipework comes from under the floor. Corner valves are generally needed when the pipework emerges from the wall and if you require a more discreet look. Lastly, straight valves are often used for pipe working coming out from the floor and are compatible with radiators with underneath connection. If you are uncertain about which valve you need please contact us for advice.